Bookkeeping is a field that will always have positions available. Even as things continue to become automated, having a skilled human who can check a company’s numbers is imperative for accuracy. Bookkeeping involves having the right skills to do the job.
There are bookkeeping courses that you can take to learn how to work as a bookkeeper. The key is to explore the best bookkeeping courses to see what each of them has to offer. From here, you can narrow down your list until you find the best bookkeeping course for your needs and preferences.
1) Complete Bookkeeping and QuickBooks Training Course
The Complete Bookkeeping and QuickBooks Training Course has 16 bookkeeping courses. As one of the best bookkeeping courses, the information is broken down into sections that are easy to digest. This course focuses on teaching you how to use QuickBooks and how bookkeeping works.
You can use this course to learn how to work as a bookkeeper for employers in a variety of industries. It also provides the fundamentals that you need to know to service clients via your own business or on a freelance basis.
The bookkeeping courses within this program include:
- Basics of bookkeeping and accounting
- Starting a business
- Setting up a chart of accounts for a company
- Setting up jobs, vendors, customers and leads
- Setting up lists
- Developing items
- Paying expenses and vendors
- Customer invoicing
- Accounts receivables management
- Credit cards and banking
- Shortcuts and tips for saving time
- Tracking financial duties
- Reports and how to work with them
- Online banking
- Files in QuickBooks
- QuickBooks customization
The program is succinct, and it gets to the point quickly. It cuts out the fluff so that you are focused on learning the fundamentals without any unnecessary distractions.
Since this is an online course, you can tackle the bookkeeping units within the program from anywhere. This program puts a lot of emphasis on QuickBooks so that you develop the necessary skills to use this software before entering the field as a professional.
(Read our review of the Complete Bookkeeping and QuickBooks Training Course)
2) Accounting Coach
Accounting coach is one of the best bookkeeping courses for learning how to become a bookkeeper. However, it does not show you how to develop your own bookkeeping business. You can make more money as a bookkeeper if you start your own bookkeeping business.
With this program, there are free and pro options. The pro options are ones that you pay for. These offer additional information that builds upon the basics that you can learn from the free information provided.
The program’s Explanation of Bookkeeping includes 13 bookkeeping courses that are free for you. They are ideal for people who want to start working as a bookkeeping and those working in the field who want to refresh their knowledge or increase their skills.
The 13 bookkeeping courses include:
- Bookkeeping introduction
- Accrual method
- Debits, credits and double entry
- Account debits and credits
- Stockholder equity accounts and liability
- Bank reconciliation
- Balance sheets
- Stockholder’s equity statements
- General ledger accounts
- Asset accounts
- Income statements
- Reversing and adjusting entries
- Cash flow statements
Before you start, you can take a free practice quiz. This consists of 20 questions and you can use it to test your knowledge to see which bookkeeping concepts you need to focus on the most.
Other free elements include:
- Word scramble to learn bookkeeping terminology
- Crossword puzzle for further terminology learning
- Approximately 350 Q&A
The pro features of this program include:
- Bookkeeping concepts guide
- Bookkeeping basics seminar videos
- Bookkeeping cheat sheet
- Flashcards for bookkeeping
- 50-question test that is graded
- Three prospective employee bookkeeping tests
(Read our full Accounting Coach review)
3) Certified Bookkeeper
This is one of the best bookkeeping courses because it provides you with 140 course hours over six months. It is a self-paced course so that you can tackle all of the included bookkeeping courses that are part of this program on your own schedule.
This course has open enrollment so that you can get started at the time that is most convenient for you. The course is offered as a type of partnership with different colleges so that you are learning the concepts as you would if you attended brick and mortar college or university. It ensures that what you learn is accurate and the latest information in the field.
After you complete the course, you are eligible to sit for the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers test. This is a certification examination that can help you stand out above other bookkeepers who do not hold this certification when you are seeking employment.
Both current and aspiring bookkeepers can take this course. However, it is recommended for those who already have experience in the field and understand the foundational concepts of bookkeeping. Once you finish the course, you get a voucher that you can use to take the certification test at any Prometric Test Center.
(Read our full Certified Bookkeeper Training review)
4) Introduction to Bookkeeping
This program offers bookkeeping courses that take six weeks to complete. However, the program is self-paced so that you can tackle the concepts using the timeline that best fits your needs. They are offered by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants. The ACCA is a global organization for professionals in the accounting industry.
This is an introductory course, so you do not need to have any knowledge of bookkeeping or experience in the field to successfully complete this course. They say that you should plan to dedicate about four to five hours a week to complete the total program in about six weeks. You need to enroll in the program to take the courses.
It is offered in English, but the video transcripts come in additional languages, including Mandarin and French. There are no prerequisites for this course.
This course is ideal for people who want to accomplish the following:
- Beginning your career in finance, business or accounting
- Working on your own startup
- Getting some foundational knowledge before starting a finance or business degree
- Getting ready to take the Recording Financial Transactions examination from the ACCA
Use this course to learn the following:
- Ledger and payroll accounts
- The banking system
- Business transactions
- Preparation and reconciliation of the trial balance
- Double entry bookkeeping
5) Bookkeeping Basics #1: Understand the Fundamentals
This program includes the necessary bookkeeping courses for people who want to start careers as bookkeepers. It is also ideal for people who own a business and want to learn about the financial aspects of company ownership.
The only prerequisites for this program are basic addition and subtraction skills.
This course includes the following:
- 53 resources that you can download
- Access to the course content on your television and mobile device
- 4.5 hours of video instruction on demand
- Lifetime access to the program after you pay the fee
- Certificate of completion once you successfully finish all of the course requirements
There are 48 lectures in this course, and you can tackle them at your own pace.
These are broken down into the following subject areas:
- Course overview
- Introduction to the resources used for the course
- The business-money relationship
- Fundamentals of bookkeeping
- The tools used in the bookkeeping industry
- Owing money and to who
- Revenue and income
- Keeping financial records
- Additional financial concepts
- Recap of the course
There are some quizzes that test your knowledge as you progress through the program. Some of the lectures are tips that help you to better utilize what you have learned throughout the course.
6) Introduction to Bookkeeping and Accounting
This program splits the information between basic bookkeeping and accounting principles. You do not need any experience or knowledge in accounting or bookkeeping to successfully complete this course. However, good English and basic math skills are beneficial.
This course provides you with the following:
- 37 minutes of video on demand
- Four downloadable resources
- You can access the components of the program on your mobile device or television
- Four articles
- Lifetime access to the program once you finish it
- Certificate of completion after finishing all parts of the program successfully
This course is relatively short, but the information presented is comprehensive. Once you finish different parts of the course, you can utilize the question bank to ensure that you understand the concepts that you learned. Throughout the program, there are opportunities to interact with your instructor and other students via the community discussion board.
Once you complete this program, you will have the knowledge necessary to do the following:
- Describe why bookkeeping is important and how it and accounting work together
- Explain liabilities, expenditures, assets and revenue
- Discuss a variety of transaction types
- Know why you need to document filing, security and retention
- Recognize common documents that businesses use for financial purposes
- Use the accounting equation to successfully complete different computations
7) Bookkeeping and QuickBooks Bundle
This program provides you with bookkeeping courses that teach you the fundamentals of this industry with a focus on using QuickBooks. Once you finish the course, you will have the skills that you need to become an entry-level bookkeeping with the knowledge necessary to fully utilize QuickBooks software.
Any person can take this course. Bookkeepers who need to learn QuickBooks are good candidates. Any person who wants to learn the fundamentals of bookkeeping can also benefit from the program. Ideally, prospective students should have basic math skills.
Once you purchase the program, you will receive the following:
- Five downloadable resources
- The ability to explore the different program components via your television or mobile device
- Four hours of video on demand
- Lifetime access to all parts of the program and the community discussion area
- Certificate of completion after finishing all program elements successfully
You will learn the concepts via video lectures. There is a training video that reinforces the concepts using the QuickBooks software. Throughout the program there are quizzes so that you can be sure that you learned the information presented. There is a total of 35 lectures in this program.
The lectures in this program present the following information:
- Accounting and bookkeeping terms
- Credits and debits
- Accounting cycle and closing entries
- Working with customers and accounts receivable
- Using QuickBooks for manual payroll
- Financial statements and ledgers
- Working with vendors and accounts payable
- Fixed assets and depreciation
- Bank reconciliations
- Business entities
- Bookkeeping transactions
- Petty cash accounts
- Easy math
- Starting a bookkeeping business
8) Bookkeeping School
This program is completely online so that you can study the units any time and from anywhere. It is a self-paced program, so you can take the time you need to fully understand the concepts that are presented. Before starting Bookkeeping School, they recommend that you have at least a GED or high school diploma. Having basic math skills can also be beneficial.
There are four units in this program.
They also provide you with the following course materials:
- Math tutor
- Reading an operating statement electronic book
- 2 & 10 column ledger paper
- Reading a balance sheet electronic book
- A card that offers quick reference information for credits and debits
- Spreadsheet applications
Upon completing this course, you will have learned about the following bookkeeping fundamentals:
- Bookkeeping equations
- Accounts receivable
- Computerized bookkeeping
- Corporations, partnerships and non-profit organizations
- Accounts payable
- The entry and journal systems
- Financial statements
- Banking, payroll records and closing the books
- Reversing entries, allowances and discounts
- The worksheet
- The ledger
After finishing the program, the US Career Institute offers career support. This can help you with things like creating your resume and finding a job.
9) Penn Foster’s Online Bookkeeping Courses
This program provides you with several bookkeeping courses that you can pursue at your own pace. You learn all of the fundamentals of bookkeeping, so this course is ideal for people who have no prior experience in the field. However, it can also work for those who want to expand upon their bookkeeping and finance knowledge.
Once you complete all of the bookkeeping courses that are a part of this program, you will finish a final project. This is focused on business ownership. After finishing all of the courses and the final project, you receive a career diploma for bookkeeping. The purpose of this course is to get you ready for entry-level bookkeeping jobs.
This program includes the following courses:
- Accounting equation
- Liabilities, assets and owner’s equity
- Financial reports
- Books of accounting
- Payroll and cash accounting
- Expenses, revenue and trial balance
- Wholesale accounting
- Microsoft Excel
- Business and banking transactions using QuickBooks
- Accounting systems
- QuickBooks introduction
- End-of-month activities and assets
- Payroll and inventory in QuickBooks
- Financial reporting project using QuickBooks
The course comes with a textbook that you will use to complete all of the reading and other assignments. For the final project, you have to do it manually. It is meant to test what you learned to ensure that you understand all of the concepts.
You will receive the following supplements to complete this project:
- Subsidiary ledgers
- Forms and documents
- General ledger